Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Youtube and Downloads stopping and errors - Connection interuptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
I have my Cable modem hooked up to a hub - an old Netgear EN104 (old but not very much used before now). From that one Ethernet cable goes into my computer and is my main Internet connection.

The other Ethernet cable goes to a wireless router and provides wireless around the house and property.

Both connections work, but the one to my computer has strange activity.

It drops off occasionally. You-tube for instance runs for most videos, but then stops and will not restart from certain points. It's not the buffering, because eventually it says there is an error. Large downloads also stop - and will not always resume properly - they just restart, and it's nearly impossible to download a whole file. There are also short connection problems with email and probably other web connections where it is not noticeable because it's not constant and connection resumes. And the 'connection' is not out - it still shows connectivity, it just has no throughput speed.

When I either connect directly to my computer or disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Hub to the wireless router, everything is just fine.

Where do I start with this?

Plug the wireless router into the modem, then plug your PC into the wireless outer.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I know that will work. But I did not want to be behind the router - too many settings to make for all my internet apps.

I did find that the hub is the problem as it only allows 'one-at-a-time' traffic. So I guess I would need a switch.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back