Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Your opinion, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIXWORX

Technical User
Jan 3, 2008
US
Hello,
I'm looking into getting set up with a pen & tablet; who uses one and which one? What are features in a pen/tablet that you consider essential or at least extremely helpful? Where did you purchase it? Would you recommend buying from the same source?So far, am looking at this one, though will probably not buy it from these guysAny & all helpful info will be greatly appreciated!
thanks
-E

'There is no LEASH LAW for the IMAGINATION!'
myspace.com/erixworx

I've only used Wacom (10 years +) and found them to be sufficient for my needs. I don't use the tablet much anymore since I basically do photo restoration and very little graphic design.

I found that tablet size was a most important feature depending on what you use it for. A 6x8 or smaller is good if you want to use your wrist (intricate drawing)but you may feel more comfortable using you arm (technical illustrations etc.) and should choose a tablet that's 9 x 12 or larger.

For the pen it's nice to go with a wireless (wish I had one). Ask if the one you're looking at has a wireless pen.

Of course cost is also a concern.

Much Luck

sam

thanks, Sam!

myspace.com/erixworx

Hi Erixworx,
First, you don't tell us about the kind of work you are planning to do, but as you are here, let me assume that is for Photoshop !
I've used a lot of tablets since the Summagraphic over the last 20 years or so, and can't work without anymore for graphics of photos. Wacom is THE choice for me. Avoid those ones with a wire attached (more than annoying, it's penalizing) and the ones with a battery into them are too heavy to be comfortable. Think twice about the model however, as the capabilities may be different. Regarding the size, the 4x6 is sufficient for all screen up to 1280 pixel-wide, but for a large screen, or a two screen system, the 6x8 is better. Too small and you lack precision, too big is tiresome (but you can always resize the active area to suit your need).
And be prepare to some training before to be able the use it efficiently and don't lose heart too fast, you'll never regret your efforts !
Have fun

Thanks!
Am mostly doing vector art- Illustrator- and embroidery digitizing with Photoshop in between

myspace.com/erixworx

Another thing you may want to consider... some digitizers (the tablet surface, essentially) will allow tilt sensitivity. Why is this important? If you're doing calligraphic work, or just want extra control metrics. Photoshop itself has brush controls based on pen pressure or pen tilt. So, for instance, you could set up a brush that had a fixed size, but the pen pressure adjusted the opacity and the tilt adjusted the roundness. In general, tilt sensitive digitizers are pricey, so it's really up to your investment/return ratio.

Personally I use a Wacom Graphire3 6x8, which is their middle of the road version. It is NOT tilt sensitive. I forget what the step up is, but the step down would be the Bamboo. Also, consider getting either a usb extension cord or a wireless usb hub. The whole concept of a tablet is to free yourself up!

good idea re: longer wire/wireless tablet. Don't think I need the tilt sensitivity, but it is another variable that it is good to be aware of...
thanks for the suggestions; keep 'em coming!
Taking my time on this decision (translation: lot of expen$e$ lately and can't afford to get one yet!)

myspace.com/erixworx

I simply can not see myself ever NOT using a pen. And not just for graphic apps like Photoshop. I have been using them since they first came out. The freedom and precision is worth it. They take a little getting used to, but once you do, you will never like using a standard mouse (wireless or not) again. PLUS, the possibility of carpal goes WAY down.

Gerry

Get the WACOM Cintique 21 inch where you can DRAW DIRECTLY ON IT. I've had mine for over 4yrs. (never a problem). You can use it as a monitor and draw on it. What a time saver! worth every penny. No need to 'estimate' where to draw the line as you are drawing ON the ACTUAL screen. Bought mine from wacom.com thanks hope this helpls. Nikky

The Cintiq is useful for some artistic composition, but its price is prohibitive for most of us. More, for "current" jobs, and even photo retouching, I prefer a two-screen system with an Intuos. For me, it's like to buy a Ferrari to go to the supermarket most of the time !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back