Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

You'd have a hard time living that one down... 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever happened to representing a whole country?
I am represented by a man who uses the word 'jackass'.

Can I give my citizenship back?

Tao Te Ching Discussions : Chapter 9 (includes links to previous chapters)
What is the nature of conflict?

Well, from what I know of what happened, 'jackass' seems a fairly accurate word for Kanye based on his actions. He showed no class at all.

Trevoke said:
That actually seems pretty tame by Presidential standards.

Also, you appear to be being represented by a man who is not afraid to speak the truth (and his mind) in clear unequivocal and readily comprehensible English. For a politician this is almost unheard of. Calling a spade a spade is sadly a rare trait in public life these days, but Mr. Obama can obviously do so.

In this instance, I am going on the record as approving of what a politician has (allegedly) said. Rest assured that I do this very rarely.

Regards

T

...and I suppose the previous incumbent made a point of inclusivity did he?

Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks - make sure most are the former.

Let's stick to language folks.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Sorry - thought this was STC at the time!

Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks - make sure most are the former.

Thargtheslayer said:
... Calling a spade a spade ...

OMG... I laughed out loud.... I had absolutely the WORST, POLITICALLY INCORRECT though pop into my head when I read that.... then I felt guilty...
[rofl]

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Trevoke said:

CajunCenturion said:
Let's stick to language folks

Hey... at least he can pronounce "nuclear"...

Ah... Clearly my post was understood as a direct attack on our current President.

No, my post was meant to express a generic lassitude and disgust at the trend taken by the government in the US over the past thirty years or so (I don't know enough to say more, maybe it's been a hundred years or more).

I don't think it's the President's job to talk about "celebrities". Celebrities are there for entertainment. The President is there to lead the country. I don't know how much money he makes, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to pay that much money for however long he was around that conversation and pass that judgment.

Why yes, yes I did indeed mix a few controversial thoughts in this post.

==> No, my post was meant to express a generic lassitude and disgust at the trend taken by the government in the US over the past thirty years or so (I don't know enough to say more, maybe it's been a hundred years or more).

Again, MAI is for language, not politics. I have no objections to discussing how celebrities and/or politicians misuse language, either through words or pronunciation, but we have other places to discuss actual politics.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Trevoke said:
I don't think it's the President's job to talk about "celebrities".
This was NOT a statement made in an official speech. This was an off-the-cuff comment made off the record to someone standing near him. It was overheard by someone that immediately threw it up on Twitter. While it's true that it's not the President's job to talk about celebrities, he didn't make the comment in that capacity. He was just acting in his capacity as a human being and making comment on the actions of some jackass rapper.

Now if he had been addressing the UN and took off a shoe, pounded it on the podium while yelling, "Kanye is a jackass! We will crush him!", then I would be concerned.

[bigsmile]

shouldn't jack-ass be hyphenated?
There, a language question

DonBott

(From a linguistic perspective, mind you), considering the mascot of the Democrat Party, perhaps the President was paying Kanye a compliment. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Ooooh, good one, Santa! That is star quality.

I'm gonna go back to programming. I like it there, it's quiet and I can rock back and forth and no one minds.. :) Much easier than dealing with this stuff.

Hey... at least he can pronounce "nuclear"... "

....yet doesn't know the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

Obama sees dead people!

----- "Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me alone."-------

There would be no hyphen as jackass is just a derogatory term for a stupid human. If one were referring to the male donkey I believe it would properly be a Jack Ass as opposed to a Jenny Ass although if you were in the Ass business I imagine you would simply call them Jacks and Jennys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back