Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

You do not have permission to change your password

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawastro

Technical User
Mar 26, 2003
GB
I have certain users that get the following error message when trying to change their password: "You do not have permission to change your password".

Domain - AD runing windows 2000 Server with SP4 + latest updates.
Clients running XP Professional with SP1 + latest updates.

Account policies as follows:

Enforce password history: 3
Max password age: 42 days
Min password age: 30 days
Min password length: 6 characters
Password meet complexity requirements: not defined
Store password using reversible encryption: not defined.

Make sure that the User Cannot Change Password Check box is un checked on the Accounts Tab under user properties.

MCP

"The user cannot change password box" is unchecked for the accounts that are experiencing this problem.

I also have users that are experiencing this problem. Both on Win98 and XP.

Check if there is any GPO that applied on the Domain level that restrict the users from changing their Passwords

Ibrahims

On the security tab in the users properties make sure that self has changed password ticked as allow. Make sure that deny isn't ticked as it takes precedence.

Martin

I disabled the Default Domain Group Policy and this problem persists.

I checked the user properties of a particular account that was having this problem and ticked self has changed password to allow and this did not make any difference i'm afraid..

Change your min password age to 0. In the security settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back