Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yikes! Corrupt drive...now I'm confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

taijiguy

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2002
US
OK...here's one for the books. A client brings me a desktop with Win 95, that won't start up. On boot it returns an IO error. Boot with a floppy, and run a DIR on the drive, and it reports all the directories as it should, except it freezes when reporting the disk size and free space.
Step one: Move the drive to a different machine just for the exercise. Hmmm..it boots up...but wants to run scandisk with surface analysis, saying there might be some hosed sectors. Scandisk freezes.
Step two: Set the flaky drive up as a D: drive on a 2K machine. Except, when trying to access the drive, Windows Explorer says the drive isn't formatted, OR it reports an incorrect function. Running Windows scandisk, or Norton Disk Doctor results in "unrecognized file system" failures. I was *hoping* there might be some bad clusters and that I could just Ghost the contents to a new drive. But of course, Ghost freezes in the process.
I'm interested in any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas on what with, or how to deal with this, the client is adament about recovering this data. I have R Studio recovery software, but prefer that to be a last resort.
Thanks,
Taiji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back