Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yet another TCP RST flag problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

robocat

Systems Engineer
Aug 31, 2020
IT
Hello everybody, I am having a problem with communication between a client and a server using TCP port 4712, protocol IEEE C37.118 (synchrophasors).

I have developed a server product and I can interface and connect it with a client PC on a network. Tested with plain networking (same subnet), through routers(different subnets), through NAT. Always works fine,
Recently I tried to connect through two redundant routers (HRSP) exposing a virtual MAC and IP address.

When the client on the other side of the WAN sends a SYN for opening the session on port 4712 (which is open and listening), my TCPIP stack replies with SYN/ACK (correct, as usual) but before receiving the final ack of the two-way handshake, my server unexpectedly resets the connection sending a TCP-RST.
The client sends anyway the ACK because probably it was in the pipeline before receiving the RST. Server sends RST again and the session resets.

I tried analyzing the Wireshark communication when the protocol starts and when it does not work, the messages are almost identical.
I could only spot two differences: when things do not work, the TCP window size is smaller (cisco routers declare 8192 bytes versus 64249 of a local PC). Also, being MSS a standard 1460 bytes in both cases, 8192 is not a multiple as it should be (I'm not sure if it must be). Anyway, I can't see significant reasons for client and server not being capable of establishing a session.

I kindly ask if somebody had similar issues or can suggest any way out of problems.

Thank you very mush and best regards,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back