Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

yet another FTP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadwalader

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
US
Hello, again, eveyone...

System: RedHat 7.3, text only server install(private network)
Problem: I can successfully FTP into the correct directory, but I can't write to the directory.
I've done the:

# chmod 775 /var/ "my ftp username"

and I got the bash prompt back, no errors. But when I try to FTP in there (and it's going into the right directory now, before it wasn't...)--I can't write new files, or overwrite the index.html file. I even restarted (which is a huge accomplishment for me) wu-ftpd...to no avail.
I also changed...um...ftpaccess?(I can't remember the name of the config file for ftp...help?)where is says:

chmod no
write no
overwritre no

...etc,
all to yes, and still no luck.

any suggestions? [bugeyed]

Thanks a whole heap!!!

Just a note: I'll tell ya now, if it weren't for this forum, all the $$$ and time I put into building that box would have been a waste, because there is no way in the world I could've figured it out. So thank you, all of you. :) Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

Hi,

Are your group and owner permissions correct on the particular directory that you are trying to ftp too. Sounds like you don't have the directory owner perms right...

coper

coper is right. You need to make your FTP user own all the files before that user can upload.
Code:
chmod -R user /the/directory
Also, your chmod settings would only work if the user owned the files or the user's group was the group owner. //Daniel

Right... I will start having my coffee before I post from now on ;-) //Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back