Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yet Another FoxPro To .Net Reporting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
It's me again. In many of my FoxPro reports I have added many more columns on the reports than will fit on one page. I allow the user to select which columns he wants to see and then my reporting class removes the unwanted columns and spaces the remaining ones from left to right. I've been researching Crystal Reports and the information I have found indicates this is possible but certainly not easy. Does anybody know of an easy way to do this in CR? Or is there another reporting tool that lets you add/remove columns easily?

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Hi

Isn't it simply a matter of presenting a list of column headings for the user to select and then use that selection list to construct the SELECT clause from your db query?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Yes, that's the easy part. No problem there. Adding or removing the columns on the report at run time is the problem. And hiding any unwanted columns leaving a gap in the report is not an option.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Ah, yes. My Excel user interface is much more flexible than CR. Must be why i gave up on CR & BO where i can do all sorts of interactive things that are virtually impossible in those other applications.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

I hear ya. The client really likes the ability to select the fields that appear on the report. I hate to give up my report hack that removes any unwanted columns, column headings, and any sub total & total entries for that column as well. It also eliminates the gap left by the removed column and moves all of the columns to the left. I might try and talk him into keeping Fox as the front end and move to SQL for the db in order to keep column selection alive.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back