Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yet another 5.5 - 2K upgrade question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckeek

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2003
US
Actually not really a question - just looking for a sanity check on my plan. I have a 2K mixed mode domain - I upgraded my old NT domain and it went well. Everything is stabilized - DNS works well, all the 2K servers pass dcdiag and netdiag OK. Now I am up to 3 W2K servers and 4 NT servers (old BDC's doing vearious things). It's a single forest/site domain, about 75 users (with mailboxes) - pretty simple.

One of the NT servers is ancient beast running Ex5.5 SP3. The only thing I did for my domain upgrade was to change the DNS in the TCP/IP setup - nothing else. It has an org and a site (which is named differently than my W2K site, which is "default-first-site"). I have a nice new W2K server all set up - it's one of my DC's but does nothing else and will be dedicated to Ex. My weekend plan is as follows:

1. Back up exchange
2. Install ADC
3. Stabilize – ensure directory replication
4. Install E2K
5. Forestprep
6. Add as a second server to Ex 5.5 site
7. Stabilize
8. Cut off SMTP at firewall
9. Back up exchange
10. Move mailboxes - stop Ex5.5 services after mailboxes are moved.
11. Check inter-office mail – test with a few users
12. Install Symantec Enterprise Edition
13. Re-start SMTP at firewall with new 1-1 NAT reflecting new IP.
14. Verify, verify, verify!
15. Shut down old Exchange server
16. Install exchange agent in Veritas
17. Back up new exchange
18. Notify users to set new server on mail control panel when they come in on Monday morning.

What can I expect with ADC? Anything besides just populating my AD with a bunch of E2K stuff? Since I am in one self-contained domain do I have to deal with connection agreements?

In general, if anyone can see any holes/flaws/gotchas *please* let me know - any and all criticisms are accepted. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back