Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yesterday I had to call my ISP beca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beretta22

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
US
Yesterday I had to call my ISP because I couldnt receive or send my mail. (Outlook 2000/Win98 SE). I went over a few things with the setting with them and found that my POP3 server settings had been changed to an IP#. They told me that it should have been a text setting (POP-SERVER.HVC.RR.COM) They were right, and after I changed it everything worked fine.

Then they told me that sometimes an antivirus program could change this unknowingly. I dont buy that though. It hadnt been touched by me as long as I have used my computer. As far as I know it was always an IP#. Both Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express (ver. 5) had the same settings. The SMTP server was already text.

Any clue as to what really happened? (No virus on system) I'm fussy that way. LOL

Thanks for any answers.

Howdy:

Not sure what you are running for an av program but your ISP was correct.. Norton has/had a real bad habit of changing the email server address to its own. So, no email.. Others could have the same quirk.

Murray

My Nortn Antivirus frequently changes my incoming and outoing server. It's done it 2-3 times in the past two years. To me, that is frequently considering that it should NEVER happen.

I am running Norton AV. First time it's happened to me. But now that I know, I will keep an eye ou for it. WOW, I learned something today. That's a GOOD thing. Thanks to all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back