Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yes/No question - ntbackup of storage group 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

feplus

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2004
US
If I'm only backing up our exchange server's storage group to tape, and one day, someone sticks a grenade in the server and blows the machine up(the backup tape is still safe), would I still be able to eventually get that email store mounted back on another machine with a freshly reinstalled windows 2000 server and exchange 2000 server?

I appreciate any help.

But what if something worse than a grenade happens? What if a user deletes a thousand emails?

You should also have a brick level backup.

depends when the backup was done....if the backup was done at 1200am and the user deletes a thousand emails that morning then they will still be there from the tape...you also have the log files to revert too, you could just restore to mailbox that was affected instead of the whole information store, depending on how you have your backup setup

Do a system state of your domain controller and it's possible to entirely rebuild your environment from tape. ErikU19 is correct in that you'll lose transactions since the last backup [assumes hardware is gone].

There are replication and distance clustering solutions that can even protect against that. At some point, you have to make a trade off between cost and recoverability. HOW MUCH LOSS CAN YOUR ORGANIZATION TOLERATE, AND WHAT IS THE LIKELYHOOD OF SUCH AN EVENT HAPPENING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back