Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

YES/NO Check Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skins64

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
US
Ok, I have a newsletter field then Subscribe/Unsubscribe check boxes. I need to make it so if you check one box, you can't check the other. Does this happen in the table or form, and how?

Thanks!!!

Why TWO fields for a SINGLE information ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

P, we not only want to see contacts who have subscribed, but those who have unsubscribed as well.

Why not having a single CHAR(1) field with 'S' for Subscribed, 'U' for Unsubscribed and Null for unknown ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

So you have a contact. They either subscribe or they don't.

Contact Subscriber
Joe Blow Y
Jane Doe N

you can now see all those who are subscribers and those who aren't.

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for anyone working with databases:
The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design
Understanding SQL Joi

Actually, we have multiple newsletters.

Form works, drop down with newsletter choices, once the choice is made, you then have an subscribe check box and an unsubscribe check box.

Let's say someone subscribes to letter 1, drop down letter 1, check subscribe, a week later they unsubscribe, go back in check unsubscribe, avoiding them mistakenly receiving a newsletter they don't want.

I hope this makes sense.

Ok you have Contacts:

Contact
ID
Name

NewsLetter
ID
Name

MailingList
ContactID
MailingListID
Subscriber

Unless you want to track the person subscribed and the unsubscribed and then subscribed back and you want to track the dates these events occurred.

Hi Skins64,

Assuming your check boxes are called Subcribe and Unsubscribe

If the user ticks Subscribe check box you can use the check box properties, events, after update as follows:

Me![Unsubscribe].Enabled = False

Likewise for the Unsubscribe after update:

Me![Subscribe].Enabled = False

This will dim the check box and not allow it to be changed.

Cheers

Again why TWO fields for a SINGLE information : subscribed or not !

Hope This Helps, PH.

In fact, the idea is:
have a single field for many mutually exclusive values.

Hope This Helps, PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back