Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

yellowdog linux laptop compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleeper4

Programmer
Dec 26, 2002
US
hey guys,
I have a Macintosh PowerBook 5300cs that I'm considering putting Yellowdog Linux on ( This is a version of Linux that is made specifically for compatibility with most macs. I've looked on the website, and they say while the 5300c is compatible with YDL, the 5300 is not. I have no idea what these letters mean, so if you could help out it would be much appreciated. I've emailed the company about this issue, but have had no reply.
Thanks,
Josh

bleeper,

Your best bet would be to backup all your data onto a CD or something then install to see if it works. My guess is that it would! :)

Gary Haran
==========================

have you tried posting to a ydl newsgroup. they would probably be your best bet. I think most of the people in this forum are x86 centric. You might also get some luck in the Mac forums on tek-tips, but you'll most likely get an annoying response like in this thread: thread604-424994 . By the way, do not install any linux besides debian or ydl on a mac. The others may claim mac support, but trust me, don't believe them (... well maybe gentoo also if you are especially adventurous).

-Venkman

I did try a ydl mail group, but they gave me replies on linux-ppc and all that good stuff. If I have to I'll get into that, but I was just wondering if anybody here knew, because the website was real sketchy on the comptibility of the laptops. Thanks anyways though.
Josh
3 exams down, 4 to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back