Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Year-End Close Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am trying to do a year-end close and dynamics keeps locking up when it is 50% finished. It stops at record 250 in the year to date transaction open. I am using Great Plains Dynamics Ver 5.0. Can anyone help?

What operating system are you on?

If you are on ctree or btrieve it could be that you have run out of hard disk space. If you are on SQL 6 it could be that you have run out of locks.

How long did you wait? Sometimes these things just take time.

Did you check the windows task manager to see if the processor was still in use? Don't look at the Dynamics not responding thing. It might not be responding because it is busy doing the year end. Check to see how much the processor is being utilised. If it has crashed then this will be around 2%. You shouldn't be running any other applications on a workstation that is performing a year end.

Year end processes can take some time I have seen some take more that a full day to complete depending on the number of transactions you have in your database, the operating system that you are on, the power of the workstation and the speed of the network.

It uses btrieve. I did get it to finish closing the year but it lost some information in the process. The transactions are still there just the some of the balances in the new year are messed up. I think that this has to do with it locking up on record 250. Is there any way to retrieve or fix the accounts without having to go to a back up?

You could try running reconcile in Financial utilities to recreate the balances

You could try running checklinks to fix any data problems

You could fix the transactions manually

But the recommended solution is to go to a backup before the year end

I am also having a problem after year end close. We have several companies and only one has the problem. After year end close the Trial Balance is empty for this company for the previous year. Any one seen this before?

It's not locking up at 50%. That's when it's moving everything from open to history. You could maybe see the account numbers changing on the screen. However, it's done that for a long time...as many versions as I can remember. You need to make a backup and have everyone else out of course, then hit the button and leave the room or something. :) It's a good idea not to have anything else running on your computer and maybe turn off the screen saver.

Anyway, it just appears to stop at 50% but leave it alone and it will probably finish fine.

Make sure you have a good backup and restore if you can.

One of our users had this problem a couple of years ago, and I didn't know that he kept rebooting. We ended up having to get a SQL script from Microsoft to back out the partial year-end process that had run and start over after making a complete backup.

Thanks!
Barb E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back