Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ye olde proliant 6400r setup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

umbletech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2006
Hi All

After lots of scrounging got 4 pcs and a 6400r out of the storeroom for a test setup for an urgent project. The 6400r is killing me but I need raid for the test stuff - got:

- slot 0 9gb
- slot 1 9gb
- slot 2 18gb

Light come on all drives when POSTing. Get one error about a dead power supply (1 of 2). But it only seems to find two drives in the POST. The lights come on in turn on each drive when it does the scsi scan.

Then when I bootup with a compaq setup disk - it freezes at starting ms-dos once it's booted. It reads the disk for a while then freezes.

Can anyone help with any of the following:
- a link for a CD version of the setup disk (no the latest
SmartStart doesn't work) Its not the disk - tried
multiple disks and versions

- recent setup instructions (HP has win2003 drivers so
somebody must still be using this clunker)

- a quick way to reset the SCSI bios or otherwise figure if
this thing is DOA.

- links to vintage server hardware type forums

- 5 minutes in a dark alley with mgmt who say that high profile projects don't need to spend money on test gear :(

oh I should definately mention it does actually come up to a copy of nt server eventually so it is finding some drive.

But it ignores a win2003 CD - anyone know how to make this thing boot from CD?

Ok some progress - firmware cd 7.3 would boot but didn't find any devices except for 1 harddrive.\

Tried smartstart 5.5 and it boots but the only options I get are:
- run system config utility
- update system partition utility
- erase system
- create support software
- run rompaq

I don't get any array options - in the help screen its says there should be 2 array options so I'm guessing its not picking up the controller.

So far I've run the rompaq - but that didn't do anything. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back