Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

YAMAHA OPL3-SAx...what in the hell am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwjgirl

Programmer
Dec 27, 2000
US
OK guys...I usually pride myself in trying to resolve my own problems...but now I finally give. While reading this post, please keep in mind that I am a mainframe programmer! haha. I am 'fixing up' an old PC and added a sound card. I downloaded the driver from the YAMAHA site, but it fails with an error "Cannot copy the Sa??????.inf file". I tried using the driver on the CD that came with the sound card, but with that as soon as Windows detects New Hardware and searches the 'supplied software', it returns a message that no drivers were found on it! Can anyone please help or atleast point me in the right direction. Thanks for ANYTHING!

Download from here Yamaha OPL drivers, but remember to run the executable either on your hard drive or on a floppy before trying to use the file.

I'm not sure these are what you need but you can get other drivers from here:

There is a link to older drivers.

Hope this helps,

Lori ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

With apologies for hurting any feelings for what may or may not be an obvious answer, here goes my 1.5 cents.

When allowing the Windows installation program to auto install anything, sometimes the required driver cannot be found on the media, even though it does exist there. The problem is that the auto install program looks for the file using certain wildcards or file conventions that the media does not follow. There is usually a drop-down box or a browse feature in the install program that allows you to find the file manually. Use this feature to browse the media, looking in all the files and folders that are there. The right folder is usually called WIN9X, WIN98, WIN95, or something of this nature that indicates that folder has files for your operating system. Use the folder that applies to your OS. Even if these folders do not exist, one of the folders may have the .ini file you need. I find this is especially common in media that has files for more than one language on it, allowing users who speak different languages to read the files contained.
Hope this helps...

1970chag,

No feelings hurt here, you are absolutely right, and I should have thought of that. I've had it happen myself several times. It is really annoying too, knowing the disk came with the card and it doesn't seem to work!

Good JOB! :) ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back