Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

yahoo toolbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksnpc

Technical User
Jan 23, 2004
US
Does anyone know if a yahoo companion toolbar could indicate a spyware/malware problem? I have two users with bizarre problems and they both have that on their systems. Neither can remember installing it.

I guess it is possible (I'm not a huge fan of toolbars anyway), but I have never seen any problems with Yahoo! Companion toolbar. What kinds of problems are they having? Slow? Websites redirecting?

----------------------------
"Security is like an onion" - Unknown

I don't like extra toolbars either so I got rid of them just in case, but it turns out that wasn't the problem. Both users had email accounts that were sending emails without their knowledge. I had run quite a few antivirus/spyware/diagnostic checks and couldn't find anything. The Yahoo tool was the only suspicious looking thing they had in common. But a little after I made the original post I found out about a new virus threat (W32/BagleBB@MM) and it turns out one of them was infected. It was too new for my other tools to find apparently. The other guy didn't appear to have the virus so I'm still not sure what's going on with him.

Iwould say as a general security issue- do not allow employees to install any P2P software - yahoo is ok but they don't remember installing>? porb came with the messenger and they didn't know enough to stop the extras -toolbars are bad in general.......:)

Bagle.BB is a nasty one and Bagle.AZ just came out so keep an eye out for that as well. From what I understand, after an infection of any Bagle variant so far, TCP port 81 is opened to a high UDP port on a machine it tries to infect as well as sending emails out.

----------------------------
"Security is like an onion" - Unknown

If you load the Yahoo toolbar and choose the advanced features, then "yes" it can come up on spyware/malware detection as a issue. Re-install the toolbar and choose, "disable" for advanced features. :-D

I loaded the yahoo toolbar, but some features never worked so I am leary if yahoo is working all the bugs out of their products before release. I loaded the toolbar to get the spyware search feature and it did find some things that adware and spybot didn't find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back