Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yahoo Messenger starts when you log in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njungeb

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
Hello all!

I have no doubt this will be an easy question for you all. I just downloaded Yahoo Messenger on my new machine with XP Home Ed and like my old machine when you boot up Yahoo Messenger always automatically opens. This is quite annoying because it is few and far between when I actually use the thing. On my old system (Win 98), I found the registry file to delete the startup of the program. I ran a regedit and tried to find the right thing, but couldn't seem to locate which file I needed to get rid of.

Is there anyone out there who can help me. I realize this is probably a simple fix, but I am fairly new to XP and don't want to screw up my new machine.

Thanks for the time!!!

Use Msconfig from startmenu->run.
~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

Well....go to Start > Run and type "msconfig".
The System Configuration Utility will pop.Go to the Startup tab and uncheck the box next to the Yahoo Messenger.There...It won't start at logon anymore...
Enjoy

Or...when running yahoo messenger, press <ctrl> <p>, and on the general page, uncheck the &quot;Automatically start Yahoo! Messenger&quot; box.

Dana [glasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back