Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Yahoo mail goes wacko in MSIE browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

energy4life

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2002
US
Hi everyone,

This is a browser, possibly a network issue:

Yahoo Mail looks weird when sending and composing mail at work (it's a MSIE browser and outdate McAfee virus scan).

When I plug a notebook into the network (with newer MSIE version, current virus scan, etc.) THE SAME BEHAVIOR HAPPENS. Any idea of what's going on?

It's quite possible that there is some kind of content filtering at your site. If there is, it's possible that specific ads and parts of Yahoo Mail are being prevented from downloading.

Can you verify if any web filtering/proxy exists at work?

A problem on different machines might mean an incorrect settings type of problem in your E-mail client? Have you considered removing the account and creating it again?

Yahoo! Mail Help

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with E-mail.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Internet Explorer Fix

How to Disable Third-Party Tool Bands and Browser Helper Objects

Thanks for your replies!

As for content filtering, sites are usually filtered at the domain level (so the site doesn't come up when the RUL is entered). This behavior - of partially blank screens - happens in COMPOSE and REPLY, but not when reading mail. So the situation actually seems more viral than security/filtering related.

A few hours after I got home, yahoo mail COMPOSE AND REPLY screens displayed normally. So I didn't un-install MSIE. Note: home set up is a stand alone laptop plugged directly into a cable modem (MSIE6.0, current Norton Internet Security).

Before I came to tek-tips, I searched Yahoo Help - to no avail... And I've tried clearing temp files, cookies, etc.

Does this happen if you compose a message while in Safe Mode?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back