Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Y2K problem - Importing DBASE III file

Status
Not open for further replies.

benesch

Technical User
Apr 19, 2001
US
Hi:

I have been working with a database that I imported into Access 97 from DBASE III. There are several date fields in this file. Every time that a date is supposed to be 1/1/2000 or later, it shows as 100 years earlier (1/15/2002 shows as 1/15/1902). This is particularly annoying when the approval date is say 1/15/1997 and the expiration date is 1/15/2002 (the licenses in question are valid for 5 years). I haven't figured out a way to fix this problem within Access, and I don't have readily available DBASE III (or compatible (ie. FOXPRO 2.6) software. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

Andy Benesch

You could create UPDATE queries to add 100 years to date fields that are '1990' or before. Your test date may be different.

Dave

why not just create an update query, and look for dates that you noticed as problems...2001 - 2005 or others and then update the date field with the date + 100 years

DateAdd("yyyy",100,[dateField])

be sure to make a copy of the table, before performing this operation, to ensure that you get the expected results

This SQL will update a field named NewDate in a table named Table14 to MyDate + 100 years if the year in a field named MyDate is less than 1925

UPDATE Table14 SET Table14.newDate = DateAdd("yyyy",100,[MyDate])
WHERE (((DatePart(&quot;yyyy&quot;,[MyDate]))<1925));

PaulF

Assuming you won't be having to import this again in the future, why not run a one-time update query that adds 100 years to any date prior to, say, 1/1/1950?

You can use the DateAdd() VBA function in the Update To: line of the query to compute the date 100 years later. Example: DateAdd(&quot;yyyy&quot;, 100, [fieldname]). Rick Sprague

Oops! Guess I'm a Johnny-come-lately. I shouldn't have interrupted composing my reply for dinner! :) Rick Sprague

I will try using the Update Query that you suggested. Unfortunately, I do have to import the same flawed DBASE III file (with updated records) each quarter. Thank you for your help; I'll let you know what results I get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back