Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xwindows crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenris

Programmer
May 20, 1999
CA
I recently installed redhat 5.2 on a <br>
pentium 100 w/24megs of ram<br>
4.3 gig fujitsu hDrive<br>
crystal soundcard<br>
STB horizon video card with 1 meg <br>
and an svga monitor<br>
<br>
The command line works fine. When I start X it might run for a while, then it freezes up and ctrl-alt-backspace won't work and neither will switching virtual consoles. I am a complete unix/linux newbie, so I don't know how to proceed and any help or suggestion would be appreciated.<br>
<br>
Also I don't have the linux box connected to a network or modem so I can't easily get updates to it. I have downloaded the latest XFree86 but is over 6megs and I can't figure out how to transfer it via floppy to linux.<br>
<br>
Troy Williams<br>
fenris@sympatico.ca

With RH try running; `xf86config' at a command prompt, answer the questions and that will create a XF86Config file to use in next step.<br>
<br>
Know your monitors Horz & Vert scanning frequency before next step.<br>
<br>
Now run; `XF86Setup' , use previous config as default, then do all of the tabs, being sure to set the right server, video card. Enter monitor settings and choose a moderate resolution & color depth as default.<br>
<br>
If it still craches on you then edit; /etc/X11/XF86Config<br>
In the Devices section (sometimes its listed, Section devices) put in a line right under where it says Monitor (for the server your using);<br>
Options "noaccel"<br>
<br>
Good Luck!!!!!<br>
<br>
Have Fun :)<br>
Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back