Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xupiter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

taubate

Programmer
Jun 29, 2001
US
I run IE6 on win2k server and fell into the Xupiter. Removed a number of entries from the registry and even ran the uninstaller from the Xupiter (can't trust them but have to). I still can't get the original MSN search screen when I misspelled a URL. Any ideas?

There are freeware apps that'll do it.
These "super ads" work as BHO's, Browser Helper Objects.
If you have the setting (not everyone seems to have it) in Tools/InternetOptions/Advanced...clear the box to enable 3rd party browser extensions and in cookie handling refuse 3rd party cookies (IE6 only)
If you're in a commercial setting Adaware is technically free to personal user...
Spybot:
Adavaware:
bhodemon:

I have already tried adavaware, which wasn't that effective and spybot, which was better. But I still cannot get the MSN search page when I mistype a URL.

I had that link as well. Didn't do anything. A re-install might be the only way. But this is not earth-shattering. I'll wait for IE6.5 to come out. An upgrade will likely solve the problem.

hi
did u ever get your search settings back?
A while back, I posted here asking for some help after something called HUNTBAR showed up all over my computer, and in the replies to that post were several mentions of this XUPITER. I told them I'd never heard of XUPITER (thankfully) and that that wasn't my problem.
Well, guess what?? NOW IT IS.
AND ON TWO different computers at that!
I guess that's not surprising if I use both computers to go to the same sites generally, but it's doubly annoying now.
And yes, I think the worst of it is that search problem they've caused. What an ugly interface for it that they have, didn't u think? Not to mention all the dead links... I got tired of entering msn.com in the address bar and getting back to my old search engine that way, and so actually tried to use this new one I never asked for instead. Didn't take long to figure out that I prefer to keep my old MSN searcher, thank you, but the only problem is I don't know how to get it back.
I'm getting ready to use AdAware to see what it gets rid of, but it sounds like it was ineffective on the search problem, at least in your case... is that right?
After this one, I get to tackle GAIN, which has also popped up about the same time as Xupiter. What fun.
THERE OUGHTTA BE A LAW... against this kind of ...
stuff.
Rebecca

You have to update Ad-Aware. After I did it found Xupiter and removed it.

The following link will download Refupdate 2.01 for Ad-aware. Install it, then run it so that it can download the latest definition file. One computer wouldn't update and I had to manually download and install the definition file.

Great tip from gargouille. I ran Hijackthis, deleted all xupiter entries and I am back to normal. I should have known I would find a solution to my problem on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back