Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XSeries server , adding new hard disk to array controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpapadak

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2010
GR
Hi

I have an X-series Ibm server with 3 raid 5 disks .
I recently added a new hard disk same model , same speed with the other 3.
I want this disk to be a new logical drive not to extend the already existing raid drive.
I restarted the server and i got a message from the raid controller that a new hard disk has been found and is initializing.
After a small pause the controller reports that a new logical drive has been added.

The problem is that when i get into disk management , no new disk is there , and my raid size is exactly the same .

It seems i am missing something that needs to be done cause my new disk is simply not there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thx in advance.

reboot the serer into the raid mini config, ctrl-I or ctrl-C or whichever it is depending on if it is adaptec,LSI, or megaraid controller. look in the disk utilities, is the drive there? and what is the status? is it ONL? rdy? or HSP?

Some of the systems need the drive nominated to an array to create the logical drive.

Which system x do you have and what raid controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back