Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xseries raid controller 8k

Status
Not open for further replies.

joblack23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
Need a little help. Raid 1 has 68G which i am running out of space. I've installed larger drives by breaking the mirror one drive at the time and let it sync. However, the raid doesn't give me the space needed. In the raid manager, it recognizes the 146G drives but I not sure if there is something I can do to extend the drive.

I've upgraded the raid firmware already. I've done the same process several times with other servers but this one seems to be a pest.

Any help would be greatly appreicated. I seem to get bounce all over the place from IBM.

thanks

Unlike raid 5, raid 1, on most adapters can not be expanded into unallocated space. The unallocated space could be used to form another volume thought.
If you must get all the space into one volume, you would need to add a cheap SATA drive to the standard SATA interface, clone the original array to it (Ghost,Acronis etc),reconfigure the array to create a volume using all the space, then reverse clone from the SATA clone to the newly configure raid1 with the parameter to expand the original size to use the full size of the larger drives.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back