Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xSeries 336 Too many PCI devices grouped onto one IRQ via BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2006
US
On my xSeries 336 (BIOS 1.13) some of the busiest pci devices are grouped onto one IRQ. Currently the BIOS allows the IRQ to be adjusted for this group (SCSI, Eth0, PCI Slot 2), but does not allow customization of the group. My problem is that I have a VioP PBX card in PCI slot 2. I need this card to have a low IRQ with high priority. But it's part of this group, and when I adjust the IRQ, I'm adjusting it for each device in the group. The end result is that the PBX card does not get the priority it needs (relative to other devices). Is there a way to adjust these settings beyond BIOS? -btw there is not another available PCI slot. It's a rack mounted server with only two pci slots total, and one of them is for mini pci cards.

xSeries 336 (8837)
SLES 10
Bios 1.13

Hi

I don't know whether or not there are any relevant fixes, but it is worth checking the latest version of the IBM UpdateXpress CD (download from IBM) because your BIOS is backlevel.

HTH

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

I downloaded what appeared to be the latest version of UpdateXpress (4.04) and it had BIOS version 1.12 on it. I then called IBM and they said that version 1.13 is that latest version of BIOS. Still looking for a solution to my problem.

I haven't done this in awhile, and may/may not work. But have you tried disabling a non-shared device IRQ (ex Parallel or Serial port ie IRQ3/4 or 7)since if I am not mistaken all shared PCI devices use IRQ 11. You can then configure your card to use that IRQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back