Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XPPro Permissions/Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittywes38

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
US
I have an XPPro computer(NSLP)and wish to give a limited user the ability to run a certain program. I can run the program from their desktop icon if they have admin privileges but when changed to limited as they should be I cannot run the program. The message continues to come up that the server cannot be found. The program does access a network (Not a domain) and a certain server which holds the DB. I figure there has to be an issue with permissions. Any simple way to do this?

Thanks much
Smittywes38

If you do a START RUN \\SERVERname\SHAREname\DATABASEfolder see if you can browse to it first when logged in as the non-admin.

As above I'd do this. More likely the account doesn't have correct access permissions to the remote server, rather than anything on the local pc.
Further to the above comment, that will prove you have read access; the program may need change / write access.
Best check, go to share, create a file, save, then rename (sometime you can write but not modify)

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back