Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XPLORER caused an invalid page fault in KERNEL32.DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMPO

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
US
Sometimes when I finished using the Internet Explorer, and I close the page I was using this message displays:

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff9dfff.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=017f EIP=bff9dfff EFLGS=00000246
EBX=81d85cf0 SS=0187 ESP=008df888 EBP=00000000
ECX=00000187 DS=0187 ESI=00000001 FS=117f
EDX=008dfa28 ES=0187 EDI=bffca060 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
cc a1 e0 9c fc bf 8b 00 66 64 f7 05 1c 00 00 00
Stack dump:
02100000 81d85d34 7ffce5a4 00000000 81d6e3c8 eca2a130 00000000 00000000 822164dc 00000000 822164ec bff55bd6 00000082 7fb910a1 00000e20 00000082

Any possibles solutions or possible problem causing this message. Thanks!

Could be a lot of things..

Are you running MS Office?
read above to also understand what "page faults" are and why they occur.

Have you updated IE to SP1.? What Version?

There are alot of severe fixes/changes that may only make your situation much worse...
Start here on the hunt....

How many of Explorer.exe (files and versions)on your HDD.?
and "where" on HDD are they located?
This behavior can occur if the Microsoft Windows 95 version of the Explorer.exe file is located in the root folder of drive C:
How much Memory (RAM) installed?..

Are you using AOL?

or Juno?

You could also replace each file from the Orig. installation disc's (Win98 CDROM).....Save the old ones by renaming the extensions (rename Explorer.exe Explorer.old) and write down the versions of any file you replace. (Right click and choose "properties" and write down version/file size/dates). You need to do it this way in DOS mode so you can then Extract a new copy from CD, while in DOS mode. The articles above (one or two)tell you how

You could use System File Checker to extract one file at a time and overwrite the ones on your HDD.....so this way it CAN BE DONE in Windows, not dos.
Again, before you do this write down the versions and sizes and dates.

Better still is to copy Explorer.exe from C:\WINDOWS and Kernel32.dll from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and Paste them into C:\ and Rename them with .old extensions (Explorer.old and Kernel32.old). As long as they have the ".old" extension Win won't see them. Then if for some odd reason you need to restore them, it can be done in DOS mode by renaming again. Or heck, Burn them to CD

StartMenu> Run SFC
click OK.
-----------------------------------------------
For Explorer.exe

Click "Extract one file from installation disk."
In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" box, type
Explorer.exe
Click Start.
In the "Restore From" box, Browse to the Windows 98 CD (D:\Win98) (D:,E:,F:,or whatever your CDROM letter is)
In the "Save File In" box, Browse to C:\WINDOWS
click OK.

Click OK and then click Yes to restart the computer.
------------------------------------------------
For Kernel32.DLL

Click "Extract one file from installation disk."
In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" box, type
Kernel32.dll
Click Start.
In the "Restore From" box, Browse to the Windows 98 CD (D:\Win98) (D:,E:,F:,or whatever your CDROM letter is)
In the "Save File In" box, Browse to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
click OK.

Click OK and then click Yes to restart the computer.
and go
Start>Run REGSVR32 KERNEL32.DLL
click OK

And you thought I was going to give you the EASY answer, didn't ya..hmm??
[bigsmile]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Before you start renaming and extracting files that have deep ties with the os, I'd download and update spybot, and scan for all spywares.
Do the same with your antivirus program.

Could also be a background program causing an issue. You can run MSCONFIG, and go to the startup tab, disable programs that don't need to be running.

You might also have a problem with your browser cache. Go to Tools>Options, and hit delete files. On the Advanced tab, you'll also find an option to Empty Temporary Internet Files when the browser is closed. Try enabling this option (if its already enabled, maybe its causing a problem, and then disable it).

Also, consider the question of when did this start? Did this correspond to a specific event? My point is, start with the simple stuff before you get remove any system files.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back