Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HobbitK

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
Opinions requested please ..
This is for a client of mine that literally does NOT know how to even turm a PC on yet .. but wants to buy now and have it be more than he will ever need for the next 3 -4 years ..
On the following 2 items
1.) WinXP home editon or Professional ...
Differences ?
2.) Office XP .. small business, professional or enterprise edition? Why?

Thanks
Michael

XP Pro has more networking & security capabilities than XP Home. So if it is a home computer standalone with internet connection, XP Home is fine. My wife's laptop has used XP Home for years.

One thing to watch for though - Sometimes they do not provide an XP Home install CD but only a recovery disk which is essentially an image of the original configuration. Royal pain in the !@#$.

Office XP Standard is good enough. They don't need Access and the other components in the Enterprise versions. The additional components you add are database capability (Access) and/or web page creation (Frontpage). But there are web page capability in Word that will do for most basic stuff. ---
dino

Dino ..
I have dealt with only getting a recovery CD in the past .. the lesson learned is simple ... IF they do not provide full install CD's of the OS AND Office(a purchased addition since stock comes with Works), they do not get my money!
Thanks for the reminder about Access not being in the Standard edition. Knowing this client they will want it, but will also probably NEVER use it.
Bai ..
Thanks for the links ... very useful

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back