Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP would not load

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaaZee

Technical User
Dec 10, 2002
GB
When I boot up my PC, which has XP Pro installed even though I am using it at home , it is fine to a point it even asks me for my password which I enter, and then it just hangs for ever, I have tried going in with safe mode to try to fix the problem, I have even tried to restoring it the last safe restore date, but still the problem persits. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Does it ever get past the login screen and load the Desktop or is it a total hang and freeze?

If you can actually get into windows here are some general things to try.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work, or you can't load windows properly, you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back