Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP + Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

furious5

MIS
Jan 8, 2003
GB
I am having problems with a machine I have recently installed with Windows XP.

Basically when I try to open any word documents created previously on a Windows 95 machine the XP machine doesn't seem to recognise them.

That is, the XP machine can read them but when it tries to close the document word crashes. Also where normally you would have a cache of documents you have opened, word does not have a record of any of these.

Has anyone come across this problem, and can you advise me how I can over come this problem.

unless your getting an actual crash with an error message then what i think is happening is your using 2 different versions of word. possible 97 or 2000 trying to convert to xp or similar, i have seen this and dont understand exactly what is going on but when you try to save or change documents then the title bar will just sit and flash for quite a long time have seen 15-20 min but will evently save it. maybe there is a fix out there for it?

No the problem is not with incompatable Word formats.

The 95 machine had Office 2000 installed, the XP machine has Office 2000 installed - so this in theory should not be the problem.

The only thing I can therefore assume is that it is a problem with XP + Word

I've ran detect and repair and also Office 2000 SR1, but still no joy.

Word itself is very flakey, it can crash even when trying to start up or copying and pasting between documents.

Surely there must be a known problem with Word 2000 and XP?

I am running Office 97 and XP home edition with no problems.
If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Is this a machine that had 95 on and you upgraded it to xp?
If yes did you do a complete reinstall of office?
If not you need to.

BTW, there is no general, specific conflict between Windows XP and Word 2K. There are thousands of users with this combination.

What i was talking about earlier was for some reason my daughter type up a paper at home and saved to a disk which i brought to work here to print... my grandkids had play around with word at home making some changes as to size fonts print layout and such... when i went to do a word count the taskbar started flashing and continued to flash for about 5 min. i had assumed that it had crash and ended task on the program. went back in and tried again with the same results and this time let it continue which took about 15 min to complete after finding all the changes that they had done at home and correcting them here i went to save the file and the same thing happend again with the task bar flashing and again it went on for about 15 minutes then it saved... both machines are running xp ro and office xp with all services packs and updates.

No the machine is a brand new machine with XP installed.

The whole installation of Word is very flakey, I have tried detect and repair and also reinstalling all of office without any success.

One of the problems I've found is that I cannot get an error message and thus cannot track down the cause of the problems, Word just hangs and that is it. The only records I get in the Event Log is Application Hung and that is it, so it is very difficult to troubleshoot the problem.

I accept people are using Win XP and Word 2000 without any problem, but that doesn't help me.

What other processes do you hve running in the background? Try turning off some unneeded services and see if there's some sort of conflict.

Check these settings in Word under Tools/Options:

General tab - check the box marked "recently used files list" and set it to as many recently opened files as you want to view in your history.

Save tab - set the "default format" near the bottom to Word 97-2000 RTF. See if that helps when you try to save/close non-XP word docs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back