Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp won't print to HP deskjet 840c on NT machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

warby1212

Programmer
Jun 9, 2003
AU
My boss is going to kill me if I can't get his XP laptop printing to the Deskjet hp640c printer on an NT machine on the network. I can "Add Printer" if I enter the printer address manually but that's all that happens. Can't get a test page.
Any help?

Did you try to install the XP driver for the printer on the XP Notebook.

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply. My cookies got mixed up and I couldn't reply. No, I haven't installed the XP driver. This is something I don't fully understand. (by the way the XP is XP home which I know has problems with NT domains) but back to drivers, on the NT machine (hte one wiht the printer)it has the list of drivers it can send to other PC's so its printer can be used. Of course there are no XP drivers in that list. So therefore where should I install the XP driver for the printer, on the NT machine or on the XP. I would assume on the XP machine but there does not seem to be an option for installing a driver on the XP for a network printer. Does this make sense?

First of all, did where you able to ping the printer?
Next, check your configuration. Make sure you installed the address correctly.
Next, make sure that dinosaur NT machine has plug and play service pack 6, otherwise it will not recognise the printer driver.

Hope this helps you!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back