Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP won't access 2nd HDD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnclePete

Technical User
Mar 30, 2002
US
I'm running XP Pro on a 20gig WD drive. I've recently installed a Maxtor 20gig as the slave. The Maxtor is listed in hardware devices which says it's operating.
In Disk management or devices it is not listed so I can't do anything with it. My Ontrack disk utilities sees it and will test it. MS support has at least two other queries on the same problem, but no answers. Any idea's?

I'm not clear about where it shows up and where it doesn't - Does show in Device Manager and BIOS but does not show in disk management?

The first thing I'd say is make sure you have an 80 wire cable and that your motherboard chipset drivers are up to date.

Also make sure that if your system is using "cable select" the jumpers are set propely on the drive.

OK, to verify and clarify.
I've removed both drives and checker jumpers. The Maxtor is primary and the W.D. is slave, both on the same cable connected in the proper position.
System boots fine, BIOS sees both drives. Computer mngmnt / disk mngr sees only the primary drive, my CD Rom's and the Compact Flash in the HP printer.
Run Add new Hrdwr. It doesn't detect anything. Tell it I'll select from list of devices. There it shows me both drives. Select the W.D. and go to properties. Select "use this device", and OK. I even re-boot and still it's not in disk mngr. !!??

presumeably the disk is Fdisk (or similar)??

Regards ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

Right click on my computer and got select "Manage" then from the Computer Management menu choose "Disk Management". You should see the missing drive, hunt around for an "initia drive" option and assign it a drive letter.
Good luck.

If you are running Tweakui or similar, be sure viewing your drive is enabled in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back