Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Windows Explorer Flickers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUCATS

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
US
When I have Windows Explorer open (with split pane, folders on the left and files on the right) the folders on the left seem to flicker randomly and I can't figure out what causes it. It almost seems like it is refreshing but I can't figure it out forsure.

Any ideas??

Thanks!!

try adjustnig your Monitor refresh frequency, im on win2k right now but Xp should be almost the same.... right click the desk top and go to properties. Select the settings tab at the top and the go to advanced. Click on the tab at the top that says monitor and my guess it is will be on 60Htz, move it to 75-80 hertz if you can, see if this helps :) -Nate

Thanks for the idea. But I already have my refresh rate set at 100.

The goofy thing about it, is that it only does it in the left pane of Windows Explorer. The right pane never flickers or anything (neither does the rest of the screen or any other programs I use, only Explorer). It's doing it on all of our XP Pro machines.

id still try setting it to 80 or 75... also maybe you have speakers on the sides of the monitors creating an electromagnetic field? -Nate

See if you can get any clues here.

Windows XP + Norton AV 2003 + NT Server - Funny things
thread779-471332

Explorer Refresh problems...
thread779-444833

Custom refresh rates
thread779-460114

Explorer automatically refresh! How do I stop it?
thread779-449014

You can experiment with this (after backing up Registry).

You can make Windows Explorer constantly refresh and update its files and folder views. Go through the Registry through RegEdit, and navigate through the left-hand pane until you get to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/control/Update item. In the right-hand pane, click on UpdateMode and select Modify. In the Edit window, change 01 to 00. Exit everything and reboot for this to take effect.

Have the some problem. Changing the refresh did help some but still have the problem.

Thanks Linney, you got me thinking in a new direction. I started checking the links and have tried some of the changes. None so far have worked.

But I did try something interesting. I recreated the problem and noticed that the pointer turns into an hourglass while the screen is flickering and then back to a pointer when it stops (it happens very fast, just like the flicker does). So seeing the hour glass got me thinking about what process is running when it starts flickering. I checked in task manager and noticed that the explorer.exe process (not iexplore.exe) runs between 25-30 percent CPU utilization when the screen is flickering. After it stops flickering, the the CPU drops back down to either 0 or 2 percent.

I still don't know what to look at, but it just something else I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back