Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Virus (Nasty one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcts

Programmer
Jan 14, 2004
US
Hi,

I have been hit by some kind of virus on my laptop. It gave me a message about the Dell Media System upgrading, then when it restarted Internet Explorer does not open, just blinks. I cannot use cut and paste. Most of the services are not running. System Restore will not open. I have tried resetting the defaults in IE, ran SFC, scandisk and reviewed the startup entries in the registry. AVG does not load anymore and a reinstall failed.

Has anyone had any luck with this? I really don't want to loose everything but will have to reformat and reload if necessary.

Thanks in advance,

James Howard

Have you tried Safe Mode, you might even find System Restore on your way to it. If you can get into Safe Mode try your scanners from there.

Any chance of removing the drive and scanning it on another machine? Maybe a Laptop Adapter is something you can look at using?

These talk about Laptop Adapters which connect the drive to a Desktop.

Mount an unbootable NTFS drive? !!HELP!! Tough one.
thread779-738178: Mount an unbootable NTFS drive? !!HELP!! Tough one.

ReImage laptop hard drive
thread779-1261355: ReImage laptop hard drive

Here is an example.
You can run things like ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console too.
How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back