Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP verses 2000 professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAP

Programmer
May 8, 2000
GB
Need some URGENT advice....

My senior management have decided to adopt Windows XP as the standard PC operating system. How does XP compare to Win2000 professional, are there any issues I should be aware of? Iseem to recall some bugs in XP.

XP is pretty much 2000 with a facelift. You might have a some minor issues with hardware drivers, but if you should really have any problems. I have XP running on about 200 workstations and things run pretty smoothly.

Scott

You should welcome the decision to choose XP.
. Except for licensed system builders, Win2k Pro is no longer sold by Microsoft or availabe through OEM channels:
(Yes, you can squeeze one out of Dell or HP if you are tough, but the fact of the matter is that it is a retired product, and XP is not.) So which do you buy for a new workstation?

. If an application runs under Win2k, it will run under XP. I am sure there must be an exception, but I have never seen one. In part, the exceptional XP compatability mode features available natively, and through the Compatability Toolkit: I would have loved this feature in Win2k Professional.

. Security. Hotfix attention goes to XP way before any other OS release.

. Management: System Restore, driver rollback, automatic protection for OS files including DLLs.

. You can turn off all the XP bling-bling, and in Classic mode it reasonably resembles Win2k Pro

. It really does not hurt to move to XP. You will end up liking it. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back