Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp user permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaikh01

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
GB
I have winxp pro installed on my pc. Currently there are four partitions. I have two logons. One is the administrator logon and a user logon. How can i prevent the user logon from viewing the partitions?

A good question is half of knowledge

Have a look at things like this, but make sure anything changed applies to the correct user and not the real Admin. You may have to make the user an Admin temporarily while making registry changes and revert them back to just a user afterward.

Prevent Access to the Contents of Selected Drives

Hide Drive letters by User:

Prevent Access to Drives by User:

Id like to Hide certain drives from Certain users on my machine
thread779-919580

You can change the permissions on the partitions you want to disable for the specified user. Logged on to the Admin account Right click the Drive, for which to alter the permissions, and look at Sharing and Permissions, Instead of having it set to Everyone. Just set it to the Admin Account. The regular User will not have access to that partition even though the user can see it.

You can then hide it as per the thread linney provided

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back