Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP unable to join domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

hppsf

Technical User
Aug 28, 2001
US
I have 10 new dells that were all upgraded to XP pro from home. One of the machines can join the domain the rest can't.

I can ping the dns server both with the ip number and name of server. The machine can go out to the internet through the server. But the machines can not join the domain.

When I do ipconfig/all the settings are all the same. For the working machine lists the primary dns suffix, the non working ones have that space left blank.

Thanks

all have unique names.

Look at the properties of the TCP/Ip configuration on the Advanced, DNS tab between the working and non-working machine. It is on the DNS tab that the suffix issue is addressed.

It is important that the only DNS server entry for the machines be your internal one, and not the WAN side DNS servers of your ISP.

all the settings are the same. They all point to the internal 192.168.1.253 DNS.

you did not say if they were imaged from the same image if so check the sid's .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back