Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp to 9x nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlier

Programmer
Dec 11, 2000
US
i cannot get xp to find anything on the network. i am working with a poorboy network that links 95, 98, me through a series of hubs that are daisy chained togethet. now i am trying to add an xp system.the big problem is that xp won't find anything that is on any of the other hubs. need help bad, xp is wasting my time
please help
vlier

I have been able to setup a network...but just a suggestion..I know this may not be the solution, but have you tried the networking wizard...I have tested it and found it to be usefull in some situations....

CS

ahh, the wizzard, been there- done that - multiple times with all of the options, made the net setup disk that is supposed to configure the other machines. we have ran the disk on 98 se machines and the me machine and it did not help. the closest that we have got was being able share back and forth with a 98 machine on the same hub. oh- plugged a 95 machine into the hub and could view shared folders on the xp machine, but the xp machine could not find the 95

thanks for a quick response CS

I'm goin' bald w/ this one- vlier

Can you ping all other IP address from each pc? Do you have any servers on your network?
I recalled something about a master browser problem when using win2k (the base for XP OS) and other boxes in a netowrk with no server/PDC is present. The new OS has different requirements for dealing with master browser elections and newest OS takes precedence.
If you can ping everything, but not browse or map to shares, try turning all pc's off and turn them on one at a time (the XP machine first) to create a master browser for the network.

Alex

Install NETBEUI from the \VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI folder on the XP CD, and DISable the built in firewall. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Get rid of NetBEUI from all machines, install TCP/IP, make sure all machines are in the same Workgroup and have unique computer names, make sure only the machine connected to the Internet is running a software firewall (or get a hardware firewall or at least a NAT box).

I have a network with three Win98SE machines, two WinXP Pro machines, one Win2K Pro box, an NT4 Server, and have never had these problems. NetBEUI is EVIL, which is why Microsoft is not offering it directly through XP setup.

;-)

Hi! I had the very same problem. On the XP computer I installed NWLink ipx/xps netbios transport protocol - then went in and gave the xp machine a number (i used 10002) for the NwLink ipx/xps netbios tp under properties - installed ipx/xps on other computers. Worked within minutes once i figured out how to do it. Have installed a couple of networks using this method and it works ok. Hope you find success should you use this method. Tried TCP/IP and it was a complete failure - tried for 4 days until I came up with this. Hope this helps you out.

vlier - checked my post this morning and realized I forgot something important - on the win98/me computer - after installing ipx/xps goto properties and enable netbios over ipx/xps - won't work without this. Sorry I forgot to mention this last evening - working late - the grey cells get tired.
Hope this solves your problem - it has worked every time for me unless you want to install netbeui from the xp disk - this should work also but as big brother microsoft doesn't want to support this protocol it's time to find another work-around.
Best wishes and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back