Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP temporary freeze after boot up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrochoir

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
GB
After XP boots I can use it for a short time but then my system freezes and I have to wait about a minute before I can use it again. There is very little disk activity during this period.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there any way to fix it?

Check if you have any unrequired services running in the background. This site is a good reference to check them out.

Are you trying to connect to the internet when it hangs?
Have you always had this problem or has it just happened recently?

Just try looking at your event log

run:
Code:
eventvwr.msc

There might be some errors and/or warning that could explain the delays (DCOM/COM+ startup errors, disk retry/errors, network redirector errors, ...)

If you can't find anything useful there, you could run a tool like BootVis (don't have the link at hand here, but a

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://google.com/search?q=BootVis+Download[/URL]

should get you started), and set it so as to watch starting processes for a few minutes or so (advanced options, if I recall correctly F7 or Alt-F7), that might show the process stalling the system..

(ofcourse you could also use perfmon, but bootvis probably is simpler to setup)..

Best of luck...

Thanks for that info ie6user, I used Bootvis and it seems that after 60secs (from power up) all processes were complete apart from "logon & Services" which didn't complete until the 3 minute mark was reached.

Do you know how I can fix this?

Cheers

It is to do with IP address allocation. This happened with my pc too and was solved by adding fake IP addressess into the IP configurations. Basically XP is trying to find your place on a network, whether you are connected to one or not, See my thread:

thread779-216613 that helps.

David

Unfortunately, that doesn't help maddave cos I don't have a network card installed.

Thanks anyway.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help maddave cos I don't have a network card installed.

Thanks anyway.

Hi!

Is there absolutely nothing in the eventlogs that could give a clue?

Yes ie6user i've finally fixed it!

Itwas beng caused by the Background Intelligent Transfer Service which was waiting 30000 milliseconds for a response from a network component that wasn't there.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me eith this problem

Hi Retrochoir...

I just found this thread, and I have the same problem.

Please, what is the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, where do I find it and how do I fix it?!

many thanks.

winxp freezes with pppoe
I've installed ADSL PPPoE and found the following problem: Right after windows xp is loaded, it freezes for a couple of minutes and then it works normally (before the changes it was working fine with a boot up time 1,2 min).
My attempts to fix the problem:
- Formatted my hd, and reinstalled Windows.
- Disabled the firewall.
- Disabled Norton anti virus.
- Disconnected the modem from my network card. In this condition Windows boots again in the normal time.
My system is up to date:
Mbo: ASUS P4S333
Processor Intel P4 2.2GHZ
Ram 512mb
What can I do to work around this annoyance?

P.S. I tryed the solutions proposed above but... they did'nt work for me. :(

There MUST have a solution. (I hope)
Thanx in advance.

GezH.
Background Intelligence service.
Uses idle network bandwidth to transfer data.

Right click on My Computer Icon /Manage /Service and Applications /Services.

Look for the service and double click on the item to bring up the properties.

Hi GezH.

This is how I solved the problem on my PC:

1. I waited until XP had "unfrozen"
2. I accesssed Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Component Services
3. In Component Services I checked theEvent Viewer\System section and found that an error had just been logged.
4. By right clicking on this error and selecting properties I found that a component called Background Intelligent Transfer Service was the cause.
4. In Component Services in the Services(local)section I right clicked on Background Intelligent Transfer Service and selected properties.
5. Under the General tab I changed Startup Type to disabled.
6. After restarting my PC the problem was cured.

Hope this helps you out.

I found a fine solution for the bug:

Windows XP
1) Go to "Start" -> "Control Panel"
2) Click on "Network & Internet Connections"
3) Click on "Network Connections"
4) Right click on the icon for your Local Area connection -> Choose "Properties"
5) Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Click "Properties"
6) In the "General" tab check off "Use the following IP address"
7) Type in 192.168.0.15 (or another fake address )
8) Enter a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
9) Click "OK"
10) Click "OK"
11) And.... That's it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back