Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP System Restore not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidib

Technical User
Feb 10, 2005
GB
XP System restore not working. It doesn't matter which restore point I choose, on reboot it says "Unable to restore from " and the restore point name. I tried manually creating a restore point today but it can't restore from that either. The windows event viewer shows no error, just an information message:

A restoration to "DB1" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.

I think it may be that XP is not creating the restore points correctly. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem. I don't actually need to do a system restore right now, but I'd like to have the facility in case I ever do!

Thanks
Dave

Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to try re-installing System Restore.

I tried turning System Restore off and then on again and it made no difference. I tried reistalling System Restore and that appeared to work although I didn't get any message to say it had completed the installation - it just ended. After I rebooted and ran System Restore, all my previous checkpoints had gone, as I would expect after the reinstall.

But, it still doesn't work. If I manually create a restore point, it appears to work ok (no messages in the event log) but it won't restore.

Running out of ideas.........

Also, check for the new e-cards virus (mCAfee DAT that came out today 5415). It disables System Restore among other things.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Have you tried using or creating another Administrative user and running System Restore from that?

Have you tried disabling some programs from running, especially security type programs such as virus scanners, and any unusual programs that may protect disk changes or offer their own recovery restore or protection solutions?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I tried it with a different user and turning off the security software and it seems to work now. Thanks for all the assistance.

With reference to previous answers, I don't have a Windows XP CD - the operating system and software was pre-installed by PC World before I bought the computer (5 years ago). I did query this with them at the time but I was told I didn't need one and it wasn't their policy to supply operating system disks. I've run the Genuine Advantage Notification thing many times doing Windows Update and it is a legit copy of XP - I just don't have a disk for it. Is it possible to get a CD? I'm guessing probably not.

Does your machine have the hidden recovery partition as a way of restoring the machine to factory settings?

If it does any supplied manual should explain how to recover from that. There may be some information on the first boot screen at power up too.

What make of machine is it? You may have to check the manufacturer's web site for further recovery details including any chances of accessing any recovery CD.

326246 - How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back