Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP - strange ?numbered security name for all files/folders ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbota

MIS
Dec 5, 2002
US
I have set several XP pro machines on a network via the Sysprep/Ghost cloning process and just noticed when checking some file and folder permissions that, besides Administrator,

User etc, they now also have one name that begins with a ? then a little single face followed by
S-1-5-21-2856520603-4271176276-1453689398-1003.

Each of the machines on the network also has similar security permissions for every what seems to be every file/folder entry.

The only difference in the number is that the last 4 numbers are different. Each machine has a different last 4 numbers.

Although these ? security permisssion entries might have been there since the machines were setup several weeks ago, I haven't seen them before and don't know what I am looking at. I fear that some trojan or such has given itself file permissions but maybe they are harmless.

Other pertinent info:

I recently created them using a MS Ghost 2003 cloning process. (Clone 4 machines from 1original...)

These machines have a full load of MS Visual Studio.NET 2002 on

them.

They are perhaps unknown users from other machines where these folders were created or previously stored or users from around your Network who have logged in and out.

Look up "Security identifiers" in Help and Support.

154599 - How to Associate a Username with a Security Identifier (SID)

243330 - Well Known Security Identifiers in Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back