Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP STOP error and keeps rebooting- cant see error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

COMPMICRO

Vendor
Jan 16, 2003
CA
I have a XPH system that keeps rebooting over and over no matter what boot option I select. It flashes a STOP error but it happens so fast I cant read it. Is there a way to either read this message or a log file that is created on drive c (NTFS) that I can read?

Hit the F8 key early and often at startup, and select Safe Mode.

If this fails to stop the rebooting, try Last Known Good.

If this fails to stop the rebooting, boot from the XP CD and use Recovery Console. As a guess, under Recovery Console type:

chdksk /r

And let it complete.
If you sort this issue, right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Options, and uncheck to automaticly restart on an error. Make sure you have checked to make an Event record of any error.

To answer this part of your question, "Is there a way to either read this message or a log file that is created on drive c (NTFS) that I can read?"

The file that would help you is C:\WINDOWS\system32\config and then locate the SysEvent.evt file. Accessing it in a broken machine is the problem. Maybe you could swap the drives around with a working machine.

The following will also work (but only if you have enabled the relevant settings in Group Policy on your broken machine some time prior to the crash).

310497 - HOW TO: Add More Power to Recovery Console By Using Group Policy in Windows XP

This step-by-step article describes how to use Group Policy to add more power to the Recovery Console. Windows XP provides a Group Policy that lets you add power to the commands that are available in the Recovery Console. Under normal conditions, the Recovery Console imposes limits on the environment in which it operates.

Group Policy for Recovery console: Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and all folders.

See - Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options

Description.

Enabling this option makes the Recovery Console SET command available, which allows you to set the following Recovery Console environment variables:

AllowWildCards: Enable wildcard support for some commands (such as the DEL command).
AllowAllPaths: Allow access to all files and folders on the computer.
AllowRemovableMedia: Allow files to be copied to removable media, such as a floppy disk.
NoCopyPrompt: Do not prompt when overwriting an existing file.

Default: Disabled.

For more information, see:
Security Configuration Manager Tools.

On entering Recovery Console you must apply the SET Command options so you can copy to a floppy or other removable media.

Having laid the ground work you can then browse (via Recovery Console) to C:\WINDOWS\system32\config and then locate the SysEvent.evt file. You can now place a floppy in the drive and use the Copy command to copy SysEvent.Evt to A:

Take the floppy with SysEvent.Evt to another XP machine and load the Event Viewer. Under Action select Open Log File and browse to the file on the floppy. Open the Saved Log File and read it. When you close the Event Viewer the saved file is not retained on the second machine.

Another screwball idea of mine. Have you got a digital camera and a quick trigger finger?
You may catch the error message that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back