Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP SP2 randomly re starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2002
US
Thank you for reading my post.

I have this PC that a few months ago was randomly restarting because it was trying, and re trying to install a MS patch for the NET framework. After hours of research I found a way how to remove the partial patch installation, install the patch manually and the problem was solved. But some how this past two weeks, the PC is doing the same thing. I tried to restore the PC to a past point but it fail completely, I then uninstall any automatic patches for the past months and stop the automatic patches installation but the PC still is doing the same thing. This PC has some intense proprietary software so I would like to resolve this problem without having to start from scratch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Steven

The same fault does not automatically mean it is the same cause of the fault as your earlier problem. You may have a problem elsewhere.

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is a Stop Error message, if you have them.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

If you want the highly technical cause of a crash look in the Documents and Settings/ All Users/ Application Data/ Microsoft/ Dr Watson/ Drwtsn32.log

Find the entry that is relevant by date and time to the crash you are investigating. The exact cause of the crash is indicated by "FAULT ->" on the left of page next to line of code causing crash. This, if your as cluey as me, wont tell you much but you can use it to see if it is the same fault all the time, and further up the log you can find what processes and modules are running.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

If System Restore is failing (to complete successfully), it may run successfully from Safe Mode. It will never be able to restore your computer to a point in time where the fault (whatever it is) is still in existence.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

To look at the hardware side of things you can check your RAM out via -

Your drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic tools for checking your hard drive.

When you get the actual BSOD error message (via the earlier instructions) we may be half way to solving the cause of the problem. You can post back with that information.

I agree with Linney there, and from experience 95% of the time this happens, the rebooting crashing etc., it is memory related...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back