Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP SP2 causes continuous rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVO

Technical User
Jul 19, 2003
ZA
Evening,
I installed XP SP2 and the PC went into a continuous reboot sequence. Fortunately I had made a Ghost image before installation so recovered fairly easily. Looked on the net and found that having previously had UMAX scanner drivers installed causes this problem although no one (MS or UMAX) offers a solution other than to uninstall them which I think I have done - don't see them anywhere (have long since ditched the UMAX)
Any suggestions/idea's would be gratefully accepted.
Cheers
John

Thanks for that, just searched HDD and no Mpegport.sys found

it could be BSODing. and you have the box for Automatcally restart checked.
That box is in system properties. under advanced and startup adn recovery.

I take it you have reverted to your "Ghost image" and SP2 is long gone, and unfortunately so has all the evidence, a sort of perfect crime with not much to go on?

You could try and recreate the situation by means of a Parallel Install or Dual Boot, if you have the hard drive room and time.

Or you could try installing SP2 again on your main XP for testing purposes and use the following articles to remove it.

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

875355 - How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

If it fails a second time, and even after removal, you will have all the logs in place to begin troubleshooting, although it would be advantageous to do some basic troubleshooting before removal by disabling Automatic Restarts and trying Safe Mode.

266465 - HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

You can do the same with XP. Don't install any unnecessary programs, just keep the parallel installation as simple as possible.

Or the paragraph in this article.

"To install Windows XP to a new folder (to perform a parallel installation):"

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back