Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Slow Boot and Runs Apps Slower Than Before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indur

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
US
Please help!
Okay, this is a strange thing. I am starting to wonder if a piece of Hardware is going bad.

Problem:[b/] Slower boot than about 3-5 days ago. Runs applications MUCH slower than it use to about 3-5 days ago.

Recently installed Quicken 2002 Delux, Adobe 7.0 (upgrade), and Microsoft Visual Studio.
Since then Uninstalled all three.[i/]

Ran AdAware to check for spyware, which I was already 100% I didnt have -- I don't download many things that aren't related to my system.

Checked and Installed Microsoft Critical and Security Updates... still nada[i/]

Recently visited and made some adjustments.... still no luck[i/]

Decided to reinstall my VidCard drivers (on a whim) for my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro... no help.

I have Defragged[u/] and used BootVis.exe[u/]... still nothing[i/].
Processes Running are:[b/]
NISSERV
NISUM
spoolsv.exe
taskmgr.exe
svchost -- Local
svchost -- Network
svchost -- System
svchost -- System
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
rundll32.exe
IAMAPP.exe
ATIPTAXX.exe (ATI card)
explorer.exe
system.exe
system idle process
sstray.exe
Directcd.exe
realsched.exe

(Some were running after I downloaded the Critical and Security updates to WinXP and IE 6.)

I am completely at a loss right now as to what is going on and what I should try next...besides wiping the machine. It was fine about 3-5 days ago... now it's acting up.

Thanks for your time!

your very good on the details... but u forgot to tell which SP? v.xxxx are u using for XP... sp1.1185 solves 99.5% of the memory failures in XP... if your not using v.1185 then upgrade using the original XP disk.. on the 2 repair request say...yes... do not repair untill u have the 2nd request to REpair.. let me know.

s0121@dhcnetwork.com

there also are some links to unofficial XP questions which are posted by MS MVP... my web page

Frank Smith
s0121@Giantcomm.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

Good on details (for the most part), bad on paying attention to the Html tag/typos until it's too late (slaps self for an UGLY post for others to read).

Anyway, I think I fixed it. Flashed the Bios for my A7N8X Deluxe and it seems to be running MUCH smoother.

I will update if things change...for now it seems better.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back