Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP slow applying Personal Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

raaudia4

Technical User
Mar 1, 2002
US
I am having trouble with the long time (3-5min) it takes XP pro to apply personal settings during logon to the network. I have 10 workstations running XP pro and my server running WIN2K. The work stations get their Ip through my netgear router. NEED HELP PLEASE

Just what have you got in your personal settings? I found I was saving a lot of picture files that I sometimes used as 'wallpapers', but which didn't need to be there.

Check C:\Documents and Settings and find out how big your 'personal settings' file actually is. Mine was 900-odd MB, which is large but does not slow down loading. Clearing out temporary files reduced that to 90 MB, still large but not a problem.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

I have found sometimes that with the netgear router that it will assign the same IP to two machines. (One machine is in standby mode. The netgear router will think its disconnected and reassign the IP to a newly logon computer but the other machine will still respond to the ip traffic)

But practice is to assign IP address to each work station.
Assign Server Ip
IP 192.168.0.100
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1 Router (some routers use 192.168.1.1 check manual)
Primary DNS enter server IP
Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2 (or reouter IP)

Computer 1-10
IP 192.168.0.5 (6,7,8....)
subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS 192.169.0.100
Secondary DBS 4.2.2.2

Do this will stop double assinged IP address and speed up logon.
GL
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back