Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP setup not recognizing my 500GB hard drive properly 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcutliffe

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2006
US
I am trying to install a 500GB hard drive as a primary master drive on an older machine I built back in 2003. The system is a P4 with 1GB Ram 2.6 GHZ. Its a Shuttle motherboard P4X400 chipset. I installed the drive with the correct jumper settings and when I run the XP Setup disk it only shows as 114 GB. If I add it as a slave and run windows..it does not get detected ..even in the disk management. In the bios it shows properly as 500GB. I'm sure it has something to do with updating the bios but I checked for the latest updates and found out I had the latest. And unfortunately the latest doesn't seem to support the larger drives. Is there anything else that can be done so that
it's recognized by XP Setup properly. Its a Hitachi Deskstar drive and i've read that you can download a tool to change the drive settings in either bios or the drive. Anyways i'm out of ideas and was looking for some suggestions.

These days the BIOS isn't really needed for the use of id'ing hd's for OS use. You can use the later OS's and they correctly identify the hdd without any input from the BIOS.

As has already been mentioned you're using an older XP install cd which at the time didn't have a requirement for the 48bit LBA (disks larger than 137gb).

Now what you can do is install the OS using the original disk, partition the disk to say 100gb, install SP2 or SP3 and then use something like Partition Magic to resize the partition again. What basically happens is that an entry is made to the registry when you install the SP that allows for 48bit Logical Block Addressing, therefore allowing you to extend the partition to utilise the full capacity.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

maybe the problem is that you partitioned it to 144 gb instead of 500gb.. go to start and right click on my computer, go to device manager and then local disk management and see what percentage is being used

Falkirk Computer Repair

Try using something such as 'fdisk'and delete all partitions. Then type [while still in 'fdisk';

fdisk /mbr

which will restore the disk master boot record.
Change your boot order in bios to cdrom 1st, insert the windows xp cd and restart your machine. Windows will boot the pc and should then show you the FULL drive with no partitions defined. Accepting the default will give you the full 500g or you can use XP to partition the drive as many times as you want but partition your bootable [C] drive 1st.
Keep smilin cos it's all good fun!!!

G'Luck Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back