Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Roaming Profiles Log-off very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzilla

MIS
Jan 13, 2003
US
What changes need to be done in order to shorten the length of time it takes to log-out/shut down the system.
Is it normal to take 4-15 minutes? per user.
The system is a Windows XP client with a Windows 2000 Server using roaming profiles.

When you use roaming profiles, the entire profile is saved at shutdown and conversely loaded at startup. Users with larger profiles will take more time at shutdown.

I agree with imatthec, but you can improve this performance a great deal if each of your users has a Home drive mapped on the network file server.

Simply relocate the My Documents folder to their home drive. That way, it won't be part of the roaming Profile upload and download process.

Also, if you are using Outlook without Exchange server, make sure you also move the .PST and .PAB files to their home drives on the network.
Is it Happy Hour yet?

Hello,
I would also make sure that your DNS settings are correct. If the client is having trouble locating it's DC you can almost bet that it's broadcasting to find it which can lead to long log off periods.
I would also check to make sure your NIC's are set to full duplex.

thank you all for your help!
beerhunter2, I have clients save all their documents on the mapped drive outside the profile folder. Is this what you meant? If not give me step-by-step instructions please.

sinkro, NIC's are set to auto detect and the other options would be 10Mbps/full duplex, 100Mbps/full also how to reset DNS?

If your hubs/switches will support 100mb full duplex I would set the clients to that. In regards to checking your DNS settings, you want to make sure that the clients are configured with your local DNS server within the TCP/IP settings. I don't know your environment but your primary AD server should have DNS configured since it's required for AD to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back