Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Remote Desktop Web Connection does not work 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizon2000

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2001
US
I have a following configuration:
Host side:
Router Netgear FVS318, IIS working on XP pro on the same box.
Lan consiting of three boxes 192.168.0.X
I have set up the router to provide static IP addresses for these boxes.
The DHPC is set up for a range 192.168.0.10-100.
NAT is setup so the port 3389 opened for TCP/UDP is forwarded to IIS.
IIS setup for anonymous connections.
The Web RDC is setup, I can see the Windows Remote Web Connection Page when I try to access the PC from the WAN side.
The WAN IP is static but it has not changed for the last year. I have a Dynamic DNS as well.

The client is behind Dell truemobile wireless router with NAT enabled and ip range 192.168.1.x. 3389 is opened.

I have VPN working as well. With VPN a regular RDC works, however without VPN the Web RDC does not. When I try to access without VPN with Web RDC I am getting message that "The client could not connect to the remote computer. The remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy..... "

Please help me out!!!

You obviously know what you're doing and I don't mean to be insulting, but is the XP firewall turned off?

Thanks jpm121 for the reply,

I have it as default turned off. However, as soon as I get to my office I will double check that.

I remember that in one of the threads, someone (I cannot trace it back) wrote that in \tsweb directory on the IIS server should be a file called "connect.*" - don't remember exactly the name as well ;-(. I don't have such a file in this directory...

Thanks,

Horizon2000,

I don't know if this will help you our or not, but I had the same problem.

I went to the correct web address, and got the RDC page to load which asked for the server name. When I was trying to connect to the server, I was using the 192.168.x.x address of the computer that I was trying to connect to. Instead, I had to put the WAN ip address in the server name and it redirected to the specific machine that RDC was forwarded to.

Hope this helps!

Goldrhim you are The Best. It worked. Thanks a lot.

Robert

My pleasure, glad someone else can get it working too!

Hi,
I am getting same problem. I am giving WAN IP address but still getting error.

Can you please put little detail about this step (I am clear about WAN IP, I do have wireless router & I have redirected port 80 to 1 internal IP ):-
"
Instead, I had to put the WAN ip address in the server name and it redirected to the specific machine that RDC was forwarded to.
"
I am trying to access this from my office which has some proxy and firewall and mostly blocks everything except port 80.
It looks like I am pretty close to connection. Can you please help.

Thanks
Sanjay

Sanjay,

You need to have a port 3389 open on both ends for TCP/UDP traffic (UDP would probably suffice but I have not checked that).

Robert

Port 3389 might not open in my office network. I guess port 80 1080 is open (telnet ... 1080 or 80) works. If I run my remote server using web on port 80 & then configure remote desktop listener (Change registery to port 1080)

Will this combinration work ?

It maight. However, there can be a conflict if you have telnet services running.

Robert

Hi Robert,
It looks like now nothing is working now. I even can't do Remote Desktop from Local LAN. When I try to connect from Local network, I get error "The Client could not connect to remote computer ....."

What should I check ?

Thanks
Sanjay

I forgot to mention that I tried using Remote Desktop Client ( No Web Server) and that also did not work. I have checked MyComputer properties and remote desktop settings are checked.
What am I missing ?

Sanjay

Sanjay,

Read these threads: thread595-752366, Thread595-739535, thread595-746775 and thread595-628421.
All together they explain the matter very throughly.

Robert

Sanjay,

If you still have a problem give me a shout - just don't want to still others users credits for they knowledge.

Robert

Hi Robert,
I have gone thru links which you have suggested. Righ now, I think problem is with Remote Desktop Server. How to check whether Remote Desktop Server is running ? I see one Service Name "Terminal Services" which is started but options for Stop or Start are disabled.
Is there any check list, I should check to ensure that my Remote Desktop Server has been setup correctly ?
I have checked My Computer Properties and Remote Tab, Remote Assistance, Remote Desktop is turned on.

Sanjay

Hi,
Problem solved. It was due to wrong port 3389 in registery. I have put 3309 in port & that's what I was getting problem..

Thanks
Sanjay

Hello, I have a similiar issue. I changed the port that the terminal service listens on to 8080 and opened up the appropriate port on my firewall. However, I cannot connect to it on port 8080, only the default port. So I can connect no problem, its just not listening on the port I specified in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

Now when I open up regedit, it says that its listening on 8080.
I've rebooted the computer as was recommended by the MS article:
Has anyone had this issue before? Corrupt registry?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
LBD

Littleblyedevil,
The WRDC requires you to have two ports open: default 80 for Web Services and 3389 for UDP transmition. Make sure that you set said services to the correct ports.
Robert

I'm using the xp terminal services client to connect, not a web client. I have this working on another system using another port.
I open up the registry and it says that its listening on 8080, but when I connect, its connecting to 3389.
Has anyone experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back