Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP remote desktop connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

r9thomas

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
I am trying to connect from my home Pc (XP Pro) to my office server (win 2000). I am the administrator.
I have a cable modem on my end and the office PC has DSL. I am able to connect and work to the office computer, but only by doing a search on "my network places" on my home pc for the ip address of the office server. I do connect, but it seems sluggish. I heard that XP's desktop remote is better, but when I enter the ip address into the "computer name" it is asking for, it says it can not connect. why?

I installed xp's remote desktop connection on my office 2000 computer.

what am I missing??????

any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Rick

Let's make sure that I'm following along correctly- You're trying to use RD from home (xp) to connect to work (2k).

"I installed xp's remote desktop connection on my office 2000 computer" Do you mean from the XP cd? If so, this is only a client. It will not work as a server.

yes, I am trying to connect from home (XP) to my office (2k). I took my XP disk and installed RD on the office 2k server. should I have done something different?

thanks,

r9thomas

By that method, you can sit a the 2K machine and connect to your home, but not the other way around. You installed the RD client application on the 2K machine.

If I remember correctly, 2K has 'terminal services' which you can use to connect from your home xp to your work 2k.

I understand. So then, what do I do? install terminal services on the home XP?

Thanks
r9thomas

You need to install Terminal Services on the 2k machine. Then, I think that you connect using your web browser, but I'm not sure how it works - I haven't used it.

I you are W2K Server at the office, you can install Terminal Services through Programs->Administrative Tools->Application Server->Terminal Services. Terminal Services supports two modes of usage, when prompted, select Server Mode. This will enable you to access the server for Administrative purposes. Once installed, you can use Remote Desktop Connection to attach from home.

Good Luck.

The office machine's OS must be a 2000 Server product.

You set up Terminal Services in remote administration mode and not application server mode.

Then you just make sure you have a Terminal Services client (such as the XP RDS Client) on your home machine.

You don't need TSAC (Terminal Service Advanced Client). This is a misnomer, since it is really the "guts" of a TS client in ActiveX Control form. It needs to be hosted in a container of some sort - at least a web page. Typically it comes in a form that installs as a small application under IIS in its own virtual directory. This is to let clients download the code on demand via the web instead of installing it on their machine like a regular application.

The short and skinny is here:

That page has a link to a white paper with some additional detail.

I am having similar problems. I would like to access my office XP Pro machine from home. I have installed IIS on the office machine and allowed remote connections to it. I have setup IIS on W2K server where all web requests are sent to by the firewall. I can see the Remote Desktop Page but when I put in the name or IP address of my office PC it will not connect me. We are using private Class C IPs for our office network and I use our public IP on given to the router to connect to our IIS server which also has a private IP.

Ok, let's try this again.

IIS has nothing to do with RDS, except for the case where you use it to deliver the TSAC client hosted in a web page.

Now IIS is all done and out of the picture.

Then this TSAC client (or your stand-alone RDS client installed another way) needs to connect to your XP Pro host.
Code:
--------     ---                    ---     ---------
|Client|--->|f/w|--->{Internet}--->|f/w|--->|XP Host|
--------     ---                    ---     ---------
The default port of the RDP protocol is TCP Port 3389.

Both firewalls must let this connection through from the client to the host.

Note that Internet Connection Firewall will block these by default - so if you are running ICF or a similar "software firewall" that can be an issue.

The XP host must also have RDS turned on.

The XP host must be addressable via a public IP address to be seen by the client. This can be by using a public address, or by a router providing NAPT port transfer to remap a public address to a private address "inside" the router/firewall.

Having an IIS server NAPT mapping will do you NO good here. As you can see in the sketch above, there is no IIS involvement in the process.

I hope this helps clarify things a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back